In 1932, some members of Normanton Road Congregational Church in Derby decided to stage an opera called ‘Cupid and The Ogre’.
The first performance took place on 11th January 1933, and such was its success that an Operatic Section of the Church was officially formed to present an opera annually and in so doing raise funds for the Church. These shows took place until the outbreak of World War II.
1953 saw the resumption of the Society and in 1954 ‘Highwayman Love’ was staged. Shows became so successful that it was realised larger premises must be sought, and in 1973 the venue for shows became The Guildhall Theatre in Derby.
In 1980, following the amalgamation of three churches, it was decided to change the name of the Society to The Central Operatic Society.
Shows continued to be a success and a further move of venue for the main annual production was made in 1997 to Landau Forte College. Following the very successful, award winning production of ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ in 2013, restrictions imposed by Landau Forte necessitated another change of venue, this being to The Robert Ludlam Theatre.
In 2015, seeking a regeneration of sorts, it was decided our name was to be changed to Central Musical Theatre Company, to reflect the direction the company found itself going. 2018 saw a move of performance venue to The Duchess Theatre in Long Eaton, broadening CMTC’s audience into a new town. Our first performance of ‘Betty Blue Eyes’ at the theatre was a huge success and we are looking forward to the future and the challenges of producing more top quality musicals for our audiences!